Friday, September 14, 2012

Meatloaf Miracle

Meatloaf is one of my husband's favorite main dishes from his childhood. I try to replicate it for him on a regular basis, but no matter what recipe I tried, I could never get it to hold together until I used instant, yes instant oatmeal! This recipe is one that I think tastes as good as it looks!

Meatloaf:

2 lbs ground beef ( I used 73/27)
1 cup Parmesan
2 packets of instant Quaker original oatmeal
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp parsley flakes
1 cup ketchup
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dry ground mustard

Mix the ground beef and next six ingredients with your hands. When everything is well mixed, form into a loaf shape and place on a broiler pan which allows the fat to drain away during cooking. I line the drip pan with foil for easy clean up. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar and ground mustard. Use 1/2 of the sauce to cover the meatloaf. Bake for 45 minutes at 450*. Brush on remaking sauce and bake for 15 more minutes. When out of the oven, let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

1 comment: