Monday, September 24, 2012

Care and Concern Through Comfort Food

Every now and then, we could all use a little comfort.  Many times when a family member or friend is faced with some sort of crisis, people will express their care and concern through food.  When our neighbor had surgery, I sent some tomato soup over and I know many other neighbors sent meals to them too!  Today, one of my Godsons had a three hour surgery to correct a birth issue and some close friends faced a cancer diagnosis of a parent. These times are never easy, but hopefully a small gesture such as a container of soup let's the recipients know that we are thinking of them and are hoping and praying for a quick end to the crisis at hand.  For my family and friends, I made a revised version of Paula Deen's, The Lady's Chicken Noodle Soup.  I left out the garlic and mushrooms as some of the recipients have sensitivities to those items.  I did use the optional ingredients to make the soup more filling.  I split a loaf of sourdough bread and sent half with each delivery of soup because there is nothing better than a crusty piece of bread to sop up the last of a warm bowl of soup!  I made a double batch and it provided about 15 servings so I was able to keep a container for our freezer too!


Our dinner tonight was another comfort recipe, GF macaroni and cheese which is a recipe from my friend Lisa.  I've mentioned it before.  It is super simple and only takes 15 minutes to prepare and another 25 to bake.  Both of my boys like it better than the "regular" kind (ie, boxed)!






No comments:

Post a Comment