Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner!

Tonight I took a crack at converting a recipe to gluten free. It all started a few weeks ago in a Williams Sonoma store when I saw a cornmeal waffle mix. The mix contained wheat so I put it down as we are trying to cut down on gluten, but the idea of trying cornmeal waffles stuck with me and I decided tonight would be a great time to try making them. I found a basic cornmeal recipe and made my modifications. I didn't have enough milk so I mixed skim milk with heavy cream. I figured that would make a nice 2% milk, right?  The other modifications were rice flour instead of wheat and I only used 1 tbsp of sugar instead of the 2 that it called for.  Lastly, I added 2 tsp of almond extract.  My husband said they tasted like funnel cakes! I also made bacon in the oven which is a trick I learned from my sister-in-law's brother-in-law. Thanks, Bryan!   You cook the bacon on a broiler pan at 425* for 15-20 minutes and there is no greasy mess!

Cornmeal Waffles:

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup rice flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp almond extract

Mix dry ingredients together and then add wet ingredients. The batter will be a bit thicker than regular batter. Cook as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment