I've recently been introduced to Pinterest by my friend and neighbor, Mindi. Tonight, I needed a quick meal as the boys were supposed to have soccer practice until Mother Nature intervened and sent an afternoon rain shower! I had planned on just having regular ham and cheese until I saw this easy recipe pinned to one of Mindi's boards. I paired it with a mini watermelon and a cole slaw pulled together from bagged cabbage, slaw dressing, a couple of teaspoons of poppy seeds and salt & pepper to taste.
Hawaiian Ham and Swiss Sandwiches:
(The version below is my adjustment to half of all ingredients except the rolls.)
1 12 pack of King's Hawaiian
1/2 lb shaved deli ham
1/2 lb Swiss cheese sliced thin
3/4 stick of butter
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 small onion sliced thin
2 tsp poppy seeds
1. Heat oven to 350. Melt butter and mix in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion and poppy seed. Simmer for several minutes.
2. Cut the entire pack of rolls in half, horizontally (keeping all top and bottom halves in tact).
3. In a 9x13 pan lined with foil that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, place bottom half of rolls and spread 1/3 of the onion mixture over the bottom of the rolls followed by the ham and cheese.
4. Replace the tops of the rolls and spread the remaining onion mixture over top.
5. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes and, once finished, separate for serving.