Sunday, October 6, 2013

The World in a Bowl Night 1: Mulligatawny and Naan



As I said yesterday, Fall is here bringing cooler weather which had me thinking of warm bowls of soup. My cousin, Harry suggested Italian Wedding soup and Chicken Tortilla soup so I thought my theme for the week would be soups from around the world.  The boys and I made a trip to our local mega-mart which has a great international section.  I found everything, but two ingredients for the week's menu, so don't think you have to run to a bunch of specialty stores on the hunt for rare ingredients!  

Our first stop on our tour was in India.  I made Mulligatawny and naan.  Mulligatawny is a spicy version of split pea soup.  It was very filling and delicious.  Naan is a bread that can be made in less than 90 minutes.  The entire meal took about 90 minutes of constant supervision so it is definitely a weekend meal for me!  I found both recipes on Pinterest!  

 


Ingredients:







Sauce preparation





Soup start!


Naan:

 Ingredients:

4 cups flour ( I used bread flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup plain yogurt
~3 cups milk
1 tbsp oil 



Directions:

Mix together the first six ingredients.  Gradually add the milk and knead the dough into a soft ball, but not overly wet.  You might not use all the milk.  Dust a surface with additional flour, turn the dough out on the surface and knead for 5 minutes.  Rub the inside of a clean bowl with the oil and place the dough inside. Cover with a clean towel, set in a warm place and let rest for an hour.

 


After the hour has passed, place a griddle over medium heat.  Pull the dough apart and from into 2 inch balls.  Roll each ball out to a 4-5 inch circle.  Brush the circle with oil and fold into a semicircle.  Brush with oil again and fold once more.  Brush the top with water and place on the hot griddle.  Let bread cook and puff up about 5 minutes and then flip to cook another 1-2 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment