Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Alternative Starches: Butternut Squash & Turnips



Today, I made a super simple and delicious crockpot turkey breast.  The recipe came from Heather Tallman (http://basilmomma.com/2013/10/crock-pot-turkey-breast.html#comments).  


I used a 3 lb Butterball turkey roast as I don't have a large crockpot.  I cooked it on high for 4 hours and turned it at hour 3 per directions.  It came out moist and delicious!  I would highly encourage you to try this recipe.  Especially those out there who I know are on the look out for yummy crockpot recipes!

To go along with the turkey, I traded out the usual mashed potatoes for a butternut squash, turnips and bacon combo!  This recipe had a nice smoky sweet taste.  The vegetables cooked down to an almost creamy consistency.  It took about 15 minutes to prep.  I peeled, cubed and stored the turnips and squash earlier in the afternoon.  I also diced up the onions and garlic.  The cooking time was about 30 minutes because I used pre-cooked bacon that just needed crisping!  

Butternut Squash & Turnips with Bacon:

 Ingredients:
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil 
5 slices pre-cooked bacon, 
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley


Directions: 


In small bow, mix vinegar and sugar.  Set aside. Over medium heat sauté bacon until crisp in the oil.  Add onion and garlic to skillet, cook until tender which is 4-5 minutes. Add squash and turnips and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.  Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and toss.  Turn heat back up to medium and continue cooking until browned and slightly crisp, about 8-10 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment