Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Under 500 Calories: Elegant Eggs!






For most people, Valentine's Day dinner is a steak, lobster or some other expensive fancy meal, but in our house, the gang voted on breakfast for dinner! I have seen several pictures of bacon roses on Facebook over the last few days, so I tried my hand and creating flowers fit for a man! I wrapped the bacon before putting it into the skillet. I had to turn the bacon several times to prevent burning of the outside while the inside cooked through.

I also got creative with the eggs. I sautéed mushrooms, spinach and leeks and mixed them into the egg mixture along with some Swiss cheese. Instead of then making an omelette, I put the egg mixture over hash browns in individual custard dishes. This was my version of a quiche. The finished product was well received by my family. My boys were astonished that they liked all the veggies! My husband said that he felt like he was in a restaurant!!


Elegant Eggs:
(Serves 6; 336 calories per serving)

6 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 leek
5 mushrooms
1 cup spinach
2 slices Swiss cheese
1 tbsp butter
2 cups Oreida hash browns, thawed
Salt and pepper to taste
12 slices of cooked bacon

Preheat oven to 400*. Place 2 cups of hashbrowns in a bowl. And set aside to thaw for about 30 minutes. Dice up mushroom and spinach. Trim the root and leafy ends off the leek. Dice up the leek and place in a bowl of water for 10 minutes to wash off any sand or grit. Spray 6 custard dishes with nonstick cooking spray and place some hash brown in each dish. Shape the potato to the bottom and sides of each dish leaving a well in the middle. Bake the hash browns for 15 minutes. While the hash browns are baking, sauté the vegetables in a tablespoon of butter for 5-6 minutes. Let cool slightly. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and cream. Dice up the Swiss cheese and add to the egg mixture along with the sautéed vegetables. Evenly divide the eggs between the hash brown cups. Place the cups on a baking sheet and loosely cover with foil. Bake in a 400* oven for 30 minutes. Serve with 2 slices of bacon per serving!



No comments:

Post a Comment