Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 28 of the Under 500 Calorie Dinner Challenge: GF Blueberry Crisp!





Yesterday was Day 28 of my under 500 challenge! I can't believe it has been a month! I lost another half pound which was a grand total of 5 lbs in a month! My husband lost weight too so that is incentive enough for me to keep going. That being said, I hit a bump in the road foodwise when I tried a mashed cauliflower recipe. Nobody really liked it, so it will not be a repeat. I also made my miracle meatloaf that I posted in September which is only 242 calories per serving. Since the plate was less than 330 calories, I splurged and made a blueberry crisp. It is a cooking light recipe that I modified to use GF flour. I used King Arthur Multi-Purpose Gluten Free flour. I really love this product as it takes the guess work out of mixing together flours and binders such as xanthum gum! I also used pecans because that is the nut I had on hand. The original recipe called for walnuts. The whole meal was 547 calories, but since nobody really ate the cauliflower, we probably consumed under 500 calories!


GF Blueberry Crisp:
(Serves 8; 217 calories per serving)

Cooking spray
4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup gluten free multi-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 tablespoons chopped pecans
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375°. Coat an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons cornstarch evenly in dish. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, vanilla, and blueberries in a large bowl; toss. Place in prepared baking dish. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon) in the bowl of a food processor; pulse twice to combine. Add butter; pulse 5 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Spoon topping evenly over blueberries, packing down lightly. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment