Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 29: Tried and True Chicken Soft Tacos





Last night's dinner was a staple that I've posted before, crockpot chicken soft tacos. Everybody loves this meal and it takes about 10 minutes of prep in the morning and another 10 before serving. Since I do a long cooking time of 10-12 hours, I put the chicken in frozen. This keeps the recipe from getting too dry. The meal is about 490 calories when you add the cheese, pico, salsa, sour cream and guacamole! This is a two meal recipe which I love! If you go back to my previous post, you will notice fewer servings. I didn't change any of the ingredients, but since we have been punting calories, I've tried to be more conscious of serving size. Now, it is one taco verses two. Rewiring our brains to correct portion sizes has been what has made this last month successful. On Tuesday, we had haircuts and scouts so I took the boys to McDonalds. We had a great discussion on daily caloric intake and how we choose to spend those calories. About how we still eat out and stop for DQ treats, but in moderation. I enjoy food too much to limit my choices, but I can choose a balanced eating plan which I hope is what the boys are learning!


Crockpot Chicken Soft Tacos:
(Serves 12; 241 calories per serving)

1 pkg of boneless, skinless chicken breast (~3lbs)
1 can of black beans drained & rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapeƱo
1 pkg taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning (recipe blow)
Corn Tortillas
Shredded Mexican cheese
Pico de gaillo
Sour cream
Guacamole


Taco seasoning:

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Place chicken breast in crockpot. Mix the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning together in a small bowl and pour over the chicken. Lastly, place the black beans on top. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. About a 1/2 hour prior to serving, shred chicken and stir. serve chicken mixture on corn tortillas. Top with Pico de Gallo, cheese and sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment