Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hitting the Sauce on Day 17: Pad Thai



I've been trying to work a couple of meatless meals in each week so tonight I made Pad Thai. I've never made pad Thai, but have eaten it on a few occasions. I came across a delicious looking recipe on Pinterest that didn't look too complicated! As you can see by the pre cooking picture there are several ingredients, but most go into the sauce. I found all the ingredients at my local grocery store which is how all my recipes are as I don't want to be running all over town looking for a specialty item!





I doubled everything from the original recipe except the chili sauce! I wanted to make sure it wasn't too hot for my boys. My oldest thought it was good, but the 7 year old was praying for a hot dog! He did manage to eat a couple of bites.

Simple Pad Thai(Serves 6; 391 calories per serving)

14 ounces pad Thai noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 eggs
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoons sambal oelek (or sriracha)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons canola oil
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cup fresh bean sprouts or a 14oz can of sprouts
2 cup cilantro
6 green onions, sliced
1 cup chopped peanuts

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the noodles. Let sit roughly 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain and rinse under cool water. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium. Crack the eggs and scramble until set, 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, sambal oelek, lime juice, canola oil and brown sugar. Whisk until emulsified. Back in the large skillet, combine the noodles, Thai dressing, bean sprouts, scrambled eggs, cilantro and scallions. Toss until combined. Serve garnished with peanuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment