Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 12 of the Under 500 Calorie Challenge: Herb Roasted Flank Steak



Yesterday was Day 12 of my challenge, Day 11 was a splurge day! I had a ranch bacon burger with fries when we ate out. My husband had a club sandwich and all the bread and mayo did not sit well with him so last night, I went back to my basic formula of meat, veggie, starch. I had a beautiful piece of flank steak in the freezer, but instead of grilling it, I seared it on the stove top and finished it off in the oven. The recipe that was my springboard was from Cooking Light and is only 167 calories per 3oz serving! I was a little worried because I usually do flank steak in an overnight marinade to tenderize it, but this meat was very tender too! I didn't have beef broth or garlic cloves so I improvised with chicken broth and garlic powder with little effect on the overall taste. The rest of the meal was sugar snap peas which are 40 calories per 2/3 cup serving and mashed potatoes which were 130 calories per serving for a total of 337 calories for our dinner last night!




Herb Roasted Flank Steak:
(Serves 6)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoon parsley flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over steak. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray ( I used a cast iron skillet so I didn't coat with spray). Add steak to pan; cook 3 minute on each side or until browned. Add wine and broth; cook 1 minute. Spread herb mixture over steak; place pan in oven. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes for rare or until desired degree of doneness (I cooked the steak for 15 minutes) Let stand 10 minutes before cutting steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with pan sauce. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.



Nutritional Information:
Amount per serving
Calories: 167
Calories from fat: 38%
Fat: 7g
Protein: 23.9g
Carbohydrate: 0.5g
Fiber: 0.1g
Cholesterol: 37mg
Iron: 1.6mg
Sodium: 266mg
Calcium: 21mg

No comments:

Post a Comment