Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 10 of the Under 500 Calorie Challenge: Spaghetti with Meatballs

An exciting thing happened in our household this afternoon, we had a freezer delivered! I've been wanting one for several years as the one in our side-by-side is really narrow and you can't fit much in it. The new freezer is a 16 cubic foot upright which I think is plenty for the size of our family, but I may rethink that when the boys reach their teens! To try out the new freezer, I made a batch of marinara with half going to our dinner tonight. I tried some Quinoa spaghetti noodles which we really liked! They were much less dense than the rice flour noodles and more like wheat flour noodles. I threw in some pre-cooked turkey meatballs from Target, I just throw the frozen meatballs directly into the sauce. Lastly, I made garlic toast using a GF, casein and egg free baguette by Schar. The calories for this meal were 513. If I had eliminated the garlic butter, it would have made it under the wire as you can see from the breakdown.

1/4 cup Marinara - 93 calories
1 tsp Garlic Butter - 35 calories
2 oz Quinoa Spaghetti - 210 calories
3 meatballs - 65 calories
1 serving GF Baguette - 110 calories

I've posted my marinara sauce back in September, but I'll repost here so you don't have to scroll.

Marinara Sauce:

1 tbsp olive oil
4 29oz cans of tomato sauce ( I use Hunt's)
1 8 oz can of tomato paste
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1/2 small onion diced fine
4 cloves of garlic
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp each of basil, oregano and thyme
3 tbsp sugar


Heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over low-med heat. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent. Add diced garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add the spices and cook another minute to start releasing the flavors. Add the cans of sauce, paste and diced tomatoes. Stir gently to combine. Add sugar stirring again. Turn heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours. Stirring occasionally. Taste after 1 hour and add spices and/or sugar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment