Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Red Quinoa Experiment

When our boys were little, we decided to eat dinner as a family even if it is just a peanut butter sandwich the most important thing would be that we shared it together and tonight would be no different. I had to leave the house by 6:40 to go with my nephew to his Confirmation class as I am his sponsor. Thursday is also prep day for spelling, and math so I needed to make a meal that I could manage around flash cards and spelling bees! I decided on grilled brats, roasted red potatoes and salad. I bought red quinoa and thought I would try to use it for a salad. I looked at lots of recipes, but didn't have all the ingredients so I made due with what I had on hand. It received a thumbs up around the table. From start to table, this dinner took an hour.

Red Quinoa Salad:

1 cup red quinoa
2 cups water
3 ears of corn
1/2 small vidalia onion diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1/2 tomato diced
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook quinoa per package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Set aside to cool. Steam corn for 3-5 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove from cob. Fold together the vegetables and the quinoa. In a separate bowl, whisk together the last six ingredients. Gently mix the dressing into the salad. Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment