Saturday, February 1, 2014

Shrimp Lasagna Roll Ups


Tonight, I made shrimp lasagna roll ups with a tomato basil cream sauce. This recipe has many moving parts and takes time to prepare, but is well worth the effort.  It brings together shrimp and pasta which are two favorite foods in this house!  Both boys clapped and my husband asked me three times if the dish was hard to make and could I keep it in the meal rotation so I know it is a keeper :o). Even the dog is currently laying here at my feet content with his belly full of shrimp leftovers! 

This dish isn't GF simply because I didn't use GF noodles, but otherwise, it could easily be GF.  

The first thing was boil my lasagna noodles per package instruction.  To keep the noodles from sticking together while I prepped the other compinents, I drizzled a little olive oil on a baking sheet and layed the noodles out on it.  While the noodles were boiling, I melted butter over a medium heat and sauté a clove of diced garlic for 1-2 minutes.  
 
Into the garlic infused butter, I tossed a pound of peeled and deveined raw shrimp.  I cooked the shrimp 4-5 minutes and moved it around the pan continuously.  I removed the shrimp from the heat and set it aside.

I then beat two eggs and mixed them with ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. 

The last component to put together was the tomato basil cream sauce.  I started out by sautéing onion and garlic in a little olive oil.  I then added diced tomatoes, sugar and spices and let the mixture gently boil for 5 minutes until most of the liquid was reduced.

To the tomato mixture, I then added cream and butter and simmered it over low heat for team minutes which allowed all the flavor a to meld together.  

It was finally time to put all the components together.  I diced up the cooked shrimp and gently folded them into the riccotta mixture.  I then spread a cup of the sauce across the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  To assemble the roll ups, I simply spread a 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture over a noodle leaving an inch of border at one end and rolled the noodle up.  I placed them seam down in the dish. 

After all the rolls were completed, I covered them with the remaing sauce and sprinkled mozzarella over it all.

Bake in a preheated 350*F oven for 25 minutes or into the cheese is bubbly.  Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

Shrimp Lasagna Roll Ups:

1 tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
8 lasagna noodles, cooked
16 oz riccotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded 
Tomato Basil Cream Sauce (recipe below)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*F.  Melt butter over medium heat and sauté garlic until softened, about 1-2 minutes.  Add shrimp to pan and cook 4-5 minutes. Stir constantly. Set shrimp aside to cool.  In a separate bowl, mix together the riccotta and Parmesan cheeses along with the eggs.  Dice up the cooled shrimp and gently fold into the cheese mixture. To assemble the roll ups, spread a 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture over a noodle leaving an inch of border at one end and rolled the noodle up.  Place them seam down in a 9x13 dish that has a cup of sauce spead over the bottom. After all the rolls are placed in the dish, cover with remaing sauce and sprinkle mozzarella over all. Bake for 25 minutes and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.  

Tomato Basil Cream Sauce

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes
1.5 tsp sugar
2 tbsp dried basil 
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter 

No comments:

Post a Comment