Thursday, December 19, 2013

Southern Living Week: Pizza Casserole Deluxe



It's Southern Living week in my kitchen! On Sunday night, I made the One-Pot Shrimp and Grits.  Monday night was grilled cheese because we had the school Christmas concert.  On Tuesday, the boys went caroling at the local nursing home with their scout packs.  They had to be there at 6:30, so I  thought I had time to make the Pizza Casserole Deluxe recipe from the "7 Meals A Making" article. I did get dinner on the table before they needed to leave, but only 20 minutes before so they had to eat fast!  The meal took 90 minutes to make because of all the components that had to be prepped.  It was a delicious meal and I will make it again, but probably on a weekend night when we have more time!



Lots of ingredients in this recipe!  I made it gluten free by substituting the pasta and flour with GF versions. The first step was to boil the pasta per package directions.  I then drained and rinsed it with cold water so the noodles wouldn't clump together while I worked on the other components.

The next steps were to brown the sausage and make the cheese sauce, yummy!


After the sauce was done, I kept it warm on low. I also drained the sausage and combined it with the marinara and 1/2 tsp of salt. Next, I cooked the onion mixture. 



After the onion mixture was done, I put it all together! First the cheese sauce goes over the pasta.


Then mix in 3/4 of the onion mixture and place all in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.


Next layer on the sausage and marinara sauce.


The next step is supposed to be layering in the last 1/4 of the onion mixture, but I goofed and put the cheese and pepperonis on before I discovered my error! 


I threw the onion mixture on top so it isn't picture perfect, but that's okay!  It was good to eat and was a great lunch the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment