Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Bacon Wrapped Pork Roast with Mustard Duck Sauce Glaze


When I go grocery shopping, I make a meal plan and vow that I will stick to my list.  Inevitably, I end up buying extra meat that is on sale and I have no plan of what to do with it.  This week, I brought home a lovely small pork roast.  When I was ready to use it, I rummaged through my fridge and pantry for things to go with it and came up with bacon!  I looked up recipes for this combo and most had some sort of glaze.  Since this wasn't a meal that I planned in advance, I didn't have all the ingredients for any one specific recipe so I improvised. Instead of honey, preserves or chutney, I used packets of duck sauce that I had left over from Chinese takeout.  If you're like me, you always have extra takeout condiments floating around in your refridge!  Sean and the boys enjoyed my improv & I hope you will too!


Bacon Wrapped Pork Roast with Mustard Duck Ssice Glaze:

Ingredients:
1-2lb pork roast
4-6 slices of bacon
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp country brown mustard
4 packets duck sauce
1 packet hot mustard
4 tbsp oil split in half

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325*F.  In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, garlic salt and the two peppers.  Rub this mixture evenly over the pork roast.  Wrap the roast in the slices of uncooked bacon and fasten with toothpicks.  Inserting the toothpicks on the side of the roast works best.  Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in an oven proof pan over medium heat on the stovetop.  Place the bacon wrapped roast in the pan and sear it on all sides about 8 minutes per side.  While the roast is searing, mix together the remaining oil, brown mustard, hot mustard, and duck sauce.  After the roast has been browned, remove the pan from the heat.  Brush the mustard duck sauce on the roast and place the pan in the oven.  Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. The roast should have an internal temperature between 150-160*F.  After you remove the roast from the oven, let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment