Saturday, January 11, 2014

Still Cooking with Southern Living: Company Pot Roast with CreamyMushroom Grits

I apologize for being MIA the last couple of weeks!  We  spent our holiday break at home decluttering, updating & organizing as we continue to have out house for sale.  I was still cooking, but too tired to post!!  

I completed cooking the all 7 meals from Southern Living!  I have to say The Company Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Grits was my favorite!!  It was an easy crockpot meal with only about 30 minutes of finishing time right before dinner!  

Here is how I made it.

Cleaned and sliced the leeks then layed them in the bottom of the crockpot. 

Then I cooked up some bacon.  When it was finished, I put it in a small container to save for garnish.  I pan seared the chuck roast in the bacon renderings. 

After placing the roast in the crockpot, I made a sauce with brown sugar, garlic, sherry & balsamic vinegar.  I poured the sauce over the roast. 

The last layer to go in was a combo of cleaned and peeled parsnips & carrots.
Then I just put the lid on and watched the snow fall for 8 hrs :o)

About a half hour before I wanted to serve dinner, I started the creamy mushroom grits by sautéing the shiitake mushrooms.
I also prepared quick cook grits according to the package.  I gently folded in cheese and mushrooms.  After, I took the veggies and meat out of the crockpot, I also took some of the juices into a skillet over medium heat and made a quick gravy with cornstarch, salt & pepper.  To serve, place grits into dish snd then place sliced meat on top.  Arrange the veggies around the meat.  Pour the gravy over all & garnish with reserved bacon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment