Friday, June 7, 2013

June Means Strawberry Pie!



Last Fall, I wrote an entry about my Nana and her wonderful pies when I shared her apple pie recipe.  Today's entry is one of her summer beauties, strawberry pie!  I love the fresh, light taste of this pie.  It is  a simple recipe that comes together very quickly.  I made the pie crust dough the day before and let it rest in the refridge overnight.  After rolling out the crust, bake at 425* for 15 minutes. Be sure to prick the bottom with a fork to keep it from puffing up and being uneven.




Allow the crust to cool for 15-30 minutes before filling with fruit.  When you make the filling, you need to stir the mixture constantly and watching for the point that the mixture turns clear and thickens.  If you don't thicken it enough, your pie will be runny and if it gets too thick, it won't set up right with the fresh fruit.  





This pie takes about 25 minutes to prepare and 2-3 hours of chilling time in the fridge.  Since I had enough dough for a second crust, I also threw together a chocolate pie using Jello chocolate pudding and following the recipe on the side of the box!  It too only took 15-20 minutes to prepare! These summer pies are great ways to have dessert without a lot of effort or mess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment